Tuesday, April 26, 2011

An Afternoon Of Learning At Science Centre Singapore


I spent 3 years of my education in a school devoted to the sciences. So you'd think I would be really interested in places like the Science Centre in Singapore. Well, you got that right! It's definitely one of the places that's high on my list of tourist spots to visit in Singapore. So one day, since I got nothing else to do, I hopped on the MRT along the green line and headed to Jurong East Station, which is the nearest station to the Science Centre Singapore.

In Science Centre Singapore, one of the top Science Centres in the world, you'll see a large collection of interactive educational materials and exhibits dedicated to science and technology. Visiting the centre alone, I admit, wasn't as much fun as I would imagine visiting it with family and friends, but nevertheless, I enjoyed myself. I saw a lot of interesting exhibits that really fascinated me.






I particularly enjoyed the IMAX Movie "Hubble" shown at the Omni-Theatre. It was like this half-dome, where you sit and you see the movie unfold all around you and you get to watch these larger than life images on screen. It's my first time watching a movie in a massive 5-storey dome screen. I enjoyed the 40-minute show so much. The Omni-Theatre is certainly more than just a movie, it's a total immersive experience. You gotta try it!



There are packages available at the Science Centre which includes also admission to Snow City, but I didn't have time to go there, so I just got the Science Centre admission and 40 min IMAX movie for $16. Maybe when I go back to Singapore, I'll try Snow City. You can also do things like star-gazing which takes place on the observatory. I wish I could have been there for the star gazing, it's one of the things I got to experience back in my childhood that I've always wanted to do again, but just never had the chance yet. 

With over a million people visitors every year, the centre is currently one of the most visited attractions in Singapore. It's a great place for your family to enjoy during the weekend or even just to spend the afternoon in. It's an ideal destination for families and should be fun for kids.

Opening hours
    Tues to Sun 10am - 6pm
    Closed on Mon (except during School & Public Holidays)

Admission Charges

Address
   
15 Science Centre Road Singapore 609081
  
  Phone (65) 6425 2500 

How To Get There
By MRT - Alight at Jurong East station (EW 24 / NS 1) and walk 600m.
By Bus - Bus Services: 66, 178, 198, 335
From Jurong East bus terminal: 66, 335

No comments:

Post a Comment