Saturday, April 23, 2011

Biking And Some Alone Time In Pasir Ris Park


I wanted to try biking in one of Singapore's parks, so I searched online for a good park. I came across Pasir Ris Park. I looked up the location of the park and it was at the very end of the East West MRT Line. But the long commute didn't stop me from going, in fact I considered it as an adventure.

A solo adventure, I might add. No one was willing to go, so I went alone. With my poor sense of direction, let's just say it took me a while to reach Pasir Ris Park. I was clutching a map, but I had to ask several people for directions before I finally saw the sign.


Spread over 71 hectares of land, Pasir Ris Park is one of the largest coastal parks in Singapore. The term Pasir Ris is Malay for 'beach bolt-rope', implying that it is a narrow beach. When I entered the park, I instantly felt relaxed. The first thing I saw were little kids learning how to skate. Then I saw some ponies (little kids can ride them for a fee) and a bike rental. I went ahead and rented a bike for $7 for 2 hours.



In Pasir Ris Park, people can enjoy a variety of activities aside from cycling, like pony rides, inline skating and barbeque rental. There's also a preserved mangrove forest full of interesting inhabitants, and visitors can go around through boardwalks. Bird lovers can also enjoy observing birds from a 3-storey tower within the mangrove forest. There's also the popular Children's Playground, which will surely interest youngsters.




You guys might think, where's the fun in being alone in a park? Well, to tell you the truth, I also thought I wouldn't enjoy the park alone, but I was pleasantly surprised when I caught myself actually having fun. It was a tranquil setting, the beach was great, the weather was fine, and I really enjoyed a quiet, alone time. After two hours of cycling, I left Pasir Ris Park feeling refreshed. It's one of those feel-good moments that only a combination of fresh air, nature and exercise can bring.

Before going home, I treated myself to a cup of Andersen's ice cream at a nearby mall. Yum. Nice way to end the day.


Opening Hours
Daily. Park is lit from 7.00pm to 7.00am.

Admission: Free

Getting There
By MRT: Pasir Ris (EW1). 10-minute walk from station.

Website
Pasir Ris Park

No comments:

Post a Comment