Sunday, April 24, 2011

East Coast Park: Cycling Under The Scorching Sun


When we planned on going biking at East Coast Park in Singapore, we didn't plan on sweating like pigs and getting tanned after just a few hours under the scorching sun. We were actually planning to go late in the afternoon, but it turned out we arrived at noon time when the sun was highest!

But even though it was scorching hot, that didn't keep us from exploring East Coast Park. The 185 hectare East Coast Park is the largest park in Singapore, and no kidding, coz it's really huge! First, we ate lunch at a McDonald's outlet in the park. I tried out the Spicy Chicken Burger but I didn't like it because it was too spicy! Don't get me wrong, I love spicy food, and I have a big tolerance when it comes to spiciness, but I didn't particularly like the way the burger tasted. But I loved the milk shake that I ordered!


After we filled our stomachs, we strolled for a while taking in the vast surroundings, there were a lot of people there too! No wonder, it's the most popular stretch of beach in the city. There was a wide array of restaurants and bars lining the 15 km stretch of sandy beach, perfect for relaxing and unwinding. East Coast Park Singapore also has barbecue pits, where families can relax and enjoy themselves. There's plenty of activities available like, fishing, picnic, rollerblading, windsurfing, wakeboarding, kayaking, and of course biking.





Nature lovers (myself included) will enjoy the beauty of East Coast Park. You'll see lots of trees, lagoons, lush greenery, flowers, and of course, the beautiful beach.





Our main goal that time we were in East Coast Park was to go biking, so we did. We rented 2 bikes for $6 each. And we cycled for 2 hours before we collapsed in exhaustion at a nearby food stall. We ate ice cream and enjoyed the cool breeze while we watched the throng of people going about their activities. Even though we ended up with complexions visibly darker, it was a really fun way to spend the day.

My only complaint is that the park doesn't have an MRT station nearby. We had to get there by bus since we don't have a car and taxis are expensive. I hope someday they'd construct an MRT station near the park. Next time I go there, I would eat in the famous East Coast Park Seafood Centre!

East Coast Park Website

Admission: Free

Address
Along East Coast Parkway and East Coast Park Service Road (Bedok) Singapore 455486

No comments:

Post a Comment