Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Top 10 Favorite Food In Singapore


Singapore is a food haven. They offer a wide variety of cuisines, from all parts of the world. If you're on a diet, you can't be in Singapore, because I'm pretty sure you will forget all about your diet when you see all the food Singapore has to offer. Food is practically everywhere, and you will undoubtedly be tempted anywhere you go. If you're the disciplined kind and you stick to your diet while in Singapore, then you won't be able to experience and enjoy the mouth-watering, scrumptious delicacies of Singapore. If you have money to burn, you can sample the food in high-end restaurants in hotels and branded food establishments. But if you're on a budget, worry not, because Singapore caters to all. You can also find affordable and cheap foodstuffs everywhere in the city. For food enthusiasts, you will have the time of your life in Singapore. Trust me on that.

I can say I really enjoyed a lot of different kinds of food whilst in Singapore. I tried stuff that I've never tried before just to see if I liked them. And by doing so, I got to discover food that not only became my favorites but also got me craving back for more. Here are my top 10 favorite food in Singapore, in no particular order:

1) Seafood Aglio Olio @ Pepper Lunch

Seafood Aglio Olio @ Pepper Lunch Isetan

Pepper Lunch is an affordable DIY teppan restaurant and steakhouse with more than 200 outlets in Japan. They serve food in an iron plate, sizzling hot. We tried their outlet in Shaw house at Isetan Scotts in Orchard Road one day because my friend recommended it. My absolute favorite there is their Seafood Aglio Olio. That was the first time I tried the Aglio Olio, and it was soooooo good that I became a fan instantly. After that, I went on a quest to try other Aglio Olios in other restaurants in Singapore, and by far, Pepper Lunch is the best! Hands down! I loved the prawns, squid, and scallops, mixed with their special brown sauce and seaweed and of course pepper! I just love the combination of the taste; talk about having a major mouth orgasm. So tasty! You can get it for just SGD$9.90. But they have a promo where you just add $2 and you get to have 1 drink + miso soup OR salad OR mashed potato OR ice cream. I always get ice cream with my meal. My favorite is their Goma Ice Cream (black sesame ice cream), absolutely delish! The Seafood Aglio Olio is a bit expensive by Philippine standards, the meal alone is about 300+ pesos, but it's totally worth it! If you're in Singapore, you should definitely drop by and try it. Check out the rest of their menu HERE.


2) Siomai @ Chinatown Food Street (Smith St.)

Yummy siomai @ Chinatown Food Street

I love Siomai (dumplings), so it's understandable that I will try to find quite a few in Singapore to eat. And I did try A LOT. But the best I've tasted is gotta be the one in Chinatown Food Street. I just love that it's big and really yummy. I've tried countless of Siomai in the Philippines, so many that I can't even keep track let alone remember the taste. But this particular Siomai in Singapore really stood out in my memory. I don't know what it is about it, really, I guess let's just say my taste buds really developed an instant liking to it. Who am I to argue, right? It can be found in a stall (I forgot the name) at a corner in Smith Street. It's the first stall along the long line of stalls in Chinatown Food Street. It costs $1 a piece, quite pricey (I could get 4 pieces of siomai in the Philippines for that price), but still very much worth my money. I could eat 5 pieces in one seating! If I had a lot of money to burn, I could get 10 and finish it in one seating. That's how much I love Siomai!

Chinatown Food Street, Singapore

3) Hotate Mentayaki (Baked Scallops) @ Sakae Sushi

Hotate Mentayaki @ Sakae Sushi, Wheelock Place

I love the food in Sakae Sushi, a popular Japanese restaurant in Singapore. I've tasted almost everything on their menu (except the raw sushi, of course). But my favorite of all is their Hotate Mentayaki (baked scallops topped with codfish roe and mayonnaise). This tastes so heavenly! Codfish roe is basically fish egg, and I generally don't eat fish eggs, but I think codfish roe is an exception in this case. For some reason I really like the taste, but I don't like it raw. I want it mixed with mayonnaise. And at Sakae Sushi, they have perfected the recipe. I've heard a lot of raves from customers about this dish and apparently, the restaurant gets a lot of orders for this. Very highly recommended. Price is SGD$12.99 for one serving with 4pcs of baked scallops in shells. Sakae Sushi also has a branch in the Philippines at Mall Of Asia, but I haven't tried it there yet.

4) Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee @ Toa Payoh, Lorong 7

My favorite Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee in Singapore

Singapore is known for its numerous hawker centers. And definitely one of the best tasting hawker food I've had (for the first time) in Singapore, is the Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee. It is basically a combination of egg noodles and rice noodles cooked with prawns and squid and served with chili on the side. I've tried this dish in various places in Singapore but the best I've tasted is found in Toa Payoh. I lived in Toa Payoh for a few months, and in one of the hawker centers in the area, I found this place:

Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee Stall in Toa Payoh

I can't read Chinese so I can't read the name, but they serve the best (in my opinion) hokkien prawn mee! I normally get the $4 serving, because the $3 one is just not enough for me! It's THAT good! I don't like veggies, so I always asked them to cook mine without sprouts and veggies. I was a regular customer in that stall, and it's a good thing I lived so close, just 1 minute walk from the place. If you live anywhere near Toa Payoh, I highly recommend this place. This is one food I really miss now that I'm back in the Philippines. If I ever go back to Singapore, I'll be sure to visit this stall again.

5) Belgian Milk Chocolate Coated Brazil Nuts @ Marks & Spencer

Marks & Spencer's Belgian Milk Chocolate Coated Brazil Nuts

I have a sweet tooth, so naturally, chocolate should be included in my list of favorite food in Singapore. As such, I was always on the prowl for great tasting chocolates anywhere I went. I usually went to the supermarket, browsed in the chocolates section, and bought at least a piece of chocolate I've never tried before, just to see how it tasted. I'm so glad I visited Marks & Spencer and found this tasty delight: Belgian Milk Chocolate Coated Brazil Nuts. The minute it melted in my mouth, I knew I was hooked. My all time favorite chocolate is still Ferrero Rocher, but this sweetie climbed all the way to 2nd place after just wolfing down 2-3 pieces. It's really good! What I love about it is that it's not too sweet, and the Brazilian nut inside is huge! I used to buy 3-4 packets all at once and just ate it whenever I got the craving (which is pretty much everyday, LOL). Each packet is SGD$3.90, a bit expensive, but it's money well spent.

6) Louisiana Pepper Nuggets @ Popeyes

Louisiana Pepper Nuggets @ Popeyes

I first tried the Louisiana Pepper Nuggets at Popeyes in Square 2 (Novena). It was just a random thing, I was feeling hungry, and was looking around for something good to eat. Popeyes caught my eye and so I scanned their menu for something cheap. I chose their Louisiana Pepper Nuggets (6pcs) for SGD$3.90. I love chicken, so I thought I'd like it. And I was right! I loved the peppery taste and the softness of the chicken. I also liked the mustard sauce that went along with it. I liked it so much that I also bought it from their outlet in Orchard Exchange. It's definitely a treat for my taste buds.


7) Almond CaramelCrisp @ Garrett Popcorn Shops

Garrett's Almond CaramelCrisp

I'm not really a big popcorn fan, if asked to choose between popcorn and chips, I'd happily choose the latter. I absolutely adore chips. Yeah, it's essentially junk food and it's not good for me, but still. So when my friend in Singapore bought the Chicago Mix (a mixture of caramel and cheese) from Garrett Popcorn, she let me try it, and I was pleasantly surprised. I actually liked it! Though I was more into the caramel flavor (I'm not so much of a cheese person). I  liked it so much, I couldn't stop reaching into the bag for more. I had to stop myself or my friend will notice I was too greedy. Haha. I decided to visit the nearest Garret Popcorn Shop to buy one for myself. I got the Almond CaramelCrisp because I love almonds. And ooooh, it tasted wonderful. It's caramel popcorn sprinkled with roasted almonds, cooked to perfection. I also tried their Cashew and Macadamia CaramelCrisp, but nothing beats the Almond one. Their popcorn comes in a variety of sizes but since I'm not rich, I contented myself with their smallest size. Their smallest bag is SGD$9. It's expensive, yeah, but c'mon it's gourmet popcorn after all. Besides, it's really an indulgence that's hard to resist. Too bad they don't have a store here in the Philippines. :(

8) Old Chang Kee


Old Chang Kee. What can I say? This is probably my most frequented food stall in all of Singapore. I simply love this chain! It's fast, it's yummy, and it's everywhere! You can see an Old Chang Kee stall almost anywhere in Singapore, and rightfully so because a lot of locals and foreigners alike patronize this chain. My favorite things here are: Chicken Wings, Sotong OnStick, and the Cheesy Chicken Balls. Prices range from SGD$1.00-1.60. I've never tried their Curry Puffs, but I heard they're quite good. I can't even count how many sticks I've bought from Old Chang Kee. I love it so much!

9) Germanchökolätekäke @ Cold Stone Creamery

Germanchökolätekäke @ Cold Stone Creamery

I'm an ice cream lover, and a big one at that. Ice cream is probably one of my favorite foods ever! I've tried a lot of ice cream shops in Singapore: Cold Stone Creamery, Ben & Jerry's, Häagen-Dazs, Marble Slab Creamery, Baskin Robbins, Andersen's, Italian Gelato, just to name a few. But of all the ice creams I've tasted, Cold Stone Creamery's Signature Creations definitely stood out tall above the rest. Don't get me wrong, all the other ice creams, especially from those big brands are really delicious. But there was something about Cold Stone that really made an impact on me.

I tried 7 flavors in Cold Stone Creamery at Orchard Central namely...
  • Our Strawberry Blonde
  • Peanut Butter Cup Perfection
  • Birthday Cake Remix
  • Coffee Lovers Only
  • Mud Pie Mojo
  • Germanchökolätekäke
  • Founder's Favorite
  • Cheesecake Fantasy

But as far as my number 1 pick goes, it' actually a close fight between 2 flavors: Mud Pie Mojo and Germanchökolätekäke. Okay, let's look at the ingredients. Mud Pie Mojo has Coffee Ice Cream, Oreo Cookies, Peanut Butter Roasted Almonds & Fudge, while Germanchökolätekäke has Chocolate Ice Cream, Pecans, Brownie, Coconut & Caramel. Both have different blends and toppings and it's really difficult to choose which one is better. But at the end of the day, Germanchökolätekäke wins by just a fraction. It really has an amazing taste, I think mainly because of the coconutty taste. Heavenly. I could eat, like, a gallon of this in one seating. LOL. Best ice cream I've ever tasted in Singapore!

10) Calbee Hot & Spicy Potato Ridges

I don't have a picture for this, and I couldn't find one exactly the same on the Internet, but this has got to be the best potato chips I've ever tasted! I'm a big chips eater, and I love potato chips. I also tasted some really good potato chips in the Philippines, like V-Cut, Piattos, and Potato Chips, just to name a few. But Calbee Hot & Spicy Potato Ridges is so far, the best of them all! Calbee has one other potato chips variety, also in Hot & Spicy flavor, but it doesn't taste nearly as good as the one in ridges. The Calbee Hot & Spicy Potato Ridges is way spicier, just the way I like it! I mean, the spiciness is really authentic and digs deep into the palate. This is my favorite potato chips to date. I doubt they sell this snack in the Philippines. I wish they would. This is what junk food is supposed to taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment