Wednesday, July 20, 2016

My Travel Essentials



I'd like to share with you my list of travel essentials, whether I'm traveling local or out of the country, these are the things I absolutely must have with me. Of course, it varies depending on what type of trip you're going to embark on. Like if you're traveling as a tourist in a different country, or maybe you're going to a beach destination, or even on a hiking expedition. Your gear will change accordingly. But for basics, these are my must haves...

1) A good quality backpack


I like to travel light. I'm not very fond of lugging a heavy suitcase in the airport or anywhere else for that matter. That's why I need a trusty backpack with me. I have a Marmot Summit and it's been with me for about 4 years now. I use it all the time and it's still in pretty good shape. Choose a backpack that suits your style. Not too big (unless you're going camping), and not too small either where you can't fit much in it. If you're looking for an all-nighter type of bag, this one fits the bill. It has a removable back pad and waist belt and two ice axe loops on both sides for external carrying. I really like this backpack, I brought this backpack with me to about 5 different countries, yet it's still doing pretty good.

2) My own stainless steel water bottle


I never leave my water bottle every time I travel. It's just so handy to have water within your reachc especially in hot climates where you need to stay hydrated all the time. It's convenient especially since I have the Marmot backpack where I can just fit it right in the bag's hydration sleeve. I have the baby pink bottle and although some of the paint started to peel off already at the bottom, I don't mind. I just treat them as battle scars. Haha. This bottle has been through a lot, that's for sure. Yet I don't even think of replacing it, it's my buddy.


3) Neck Wallet

I can't even recommend this enough. When you're out and about, like for instance, shopping, going through bazaars or markets, or malls, or wherever, it is so annoying to be carrying a bag or purse. Before, I would bring my shoulder bag with me when I go shopping but after a while my shoulder starts getting sore. I also used to just bring a hand wallet and that is such a hassle especially when you're browsing through stuff and you need both your hands. This is where neck wallets come in handy. They're not heavy, you're less likely to fall prey to pickpocketers and it's convenient to reach for your cash or credit card without having to rummage through your bag.

4) Comfortable shoes


This is a must for me. If you're more the type to sacrifice comfort for fashion, that's your choice. Me? I'd rather have a comfy pair of flats or sneakers when I travel and I have to do a lot of walking around. I usually bring a nice pair of light, comfy sneakers. I prefer the slip ons than the shoelace type. It's just so much easier when you have to take them off when entering mosques or at airport checks.


5) Cellphone with data


There is so much you can do online nowadays and whether we admit it or not, having a cellphone with you everywhere you go is just convenient and smart. You can go to Google maps if you're not sure which way to go, you can look up places you want to go to online and read reviews, you can book your hotel or hostel, you can do online banking and transfer money to your atm if you're short in cash, all at the tips of your fingers. Not to mention, you can call someone if there's an emergency. Just make sure you fully charge your phone before you go out and bring a backup battery pack or a charger just in case you run out of battery.

6) Music device with earphones


I am a music lover and I love listening to music everywhere I go. When you're traveling, a lot of the time, you spend just sitting on a bus or plane or car, and even walking, where it gets kind of boring sometimes. Music makes it bearable. It is like a friend that keeps you company. And when you're dozing off on the plane, it's so much better falling asleep to music, I have an iPod and I filled it with all my favorite songs and arrange them into playlists and then I'd pick which ones to listen to depending on my mood at the moment. Like for instance, when I'm exploring the streets of Thailans, I like to put on Grimes' "Oblivion". There's just something about music that enhanses the mood of a specific situation. Earphones are good, earphones are your friend. It's rude to play music on speakers in public, you don't know what type of music other people like and they might find your tunes annoying. Use earphones so only you can hear.


There you gave it. My top 6 travel essentials. What about you? What are your top travel essentials? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment